Tuesday, January 31, 2012

1st and Main

January 2010

So I walk into First and Main and order a whiskey…

I am greeted by a very friendly bartender and a selection of top-shelf whiskies that I would never have placed on the “top shelf.” Me personally, I consider J&B and Cutty Sark to be on the barely average shelf, at best. They do have Jameson and Maker’s Mark as well, but again, those should be the norm not the top shelf.

I opt for the Maker’s Mark, as it is the most flavorful offering they have. The pour is a generous one, and it is served in an adult-sized rocks glass with a “water back” just like I asked. Looks like we’re off to a good start here.

First and Main is located where Main Street and Central Plaza intersect near 2nd Street, so if you’re trying to find it by name alone you will not. Instead you will find a bank and an office for the University of Phoenix.

If you do find the place, you will be welcomed into a cozy little bar that does not suffer from the Pueblo tanning salon/bar syndrome that I have seen all too often around this town. Mind you, it is not as dimly or warmly lit as I like, and I don’t think there is an easy solution (like a dimmer) to fix it. You see, at First and Main most of the light is provided by the many neon beer signs hanging on the walls. I will say this: There is a cool eerie glow that emanates from the neon lights that makes you feel as if you’re in a Twilight movie.

First and Main has a pool table, albeit a rather small one. It seems to be smaller than a standard-sized bar table, but I love a good game. I grab a few quarters from my pocket and place them on the miniature billiards table. I’m looking forward to seeing if this bar’s patrons have better manners than those at that last bar I visited.

Unfortunately, it seems I won’t get the chance. The people who were on the table pack up and leave after they finish their game. So, I resort to asking my best friend/arch nemesis if he’s up for a game. Although he is victorious, he’s not feeling well and surrenders the table to me. I’m quickly challenged by one of the bar’s patrons.

After nine straight wins over various First and Main denizens, I learn something very profound: First and Main is nothing like the last place I played pool. Each of the defeated offered a handshake and congratulated me by saying “good game.”

The service at the bar was exceptional, too. The bartender would frequently come around to make sure that I was well satiated. And, she did it in a manner that was not offensive like the used-car salesmen tactics used by some bars, restaurants and Taco Bell. You know…

“Hi, welcome to Taco Bell. Can I take your order?”

“Yes, I’d like a Taco Supreme.”

“Will there be anything else?”

“No, thank you.”

“Would you like something to drink with that?”

“No thanks.”

“Perhaps some cinnamon twists?”

“Can I just get a fucking Taco Supreme, please?”

If you’re looking for a bar with lousy service and a fight over a pool game, First and Main is not the place for you. As a matter of fact, if that’s what you’re looking for, stay away because I like this place and wouldn’t like you being there!

However if you’re looking for a place with friendly service and a cool vampire glow…Check it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home